Study and Work

Work while you study

  • Work without Work Permit
    • Work on Campus
    • You are a full time students at a public/private post-secondary institution, such as a college or university, or CEGEP (Quebec), or a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
    • You must have a valid student permit.
    • You need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from Service Canada.
    • Work on Campus such as at School library, cafeteria, professor assistant etc.
    • Work off Campus
    • As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit.
    • You must be enrolled as a full time student at least 6 months at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level.
    • You must have a valid student permit.
    • You may work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks.
  • Work with Co-op Work Permit
    Work as Co-op Student or Internship
    • You must be enrolled as a full time student at a designated learning institution. NOT at language schools.
    • You must have a valid student permit.
    • Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
    • Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% (percent) of the total program of study.

Work after graduation

Get a Post Graduation Work Permit

  • To work in Canada after you graduate, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). If you want to stay in Canada as a permanent resident after you graduate, there are a number of programs available, each with its own requirements.
  • Government of Canada – CIC site for more details.

Please contact HEKI Canada for more details.